In BLOG

Bringing a Modern Glam Living Room Vision to Life

modern glam living room decor

If you’re home, take a look around the room you’re in. What do you like about it? What don’t you like about it? Have you ever looked at your space and thought something was off, but you couldn’t figure out what was off about it?

For a few weeks, I’ve been eyeing up my living room thinking “something’s not right.” I couldn’t figure out what it was, but I just knew it wasn’t the look I wanted. In fact, nothing really looked like it belonged. But what could I do to change that?

Let me back up a bit and give you a lil’ backstory.

This a shot of the living room when we first bought the house (before we did anything):

living room before

Anddd here’s after we painted the walls light gray and *threw together* furnishings:

living room before

living room before

Picking the pieces apart

Going to throw some marketing jargon at ya to further explain why I “threw together furnishings.” The term “Frankenstein” is typically used when referring to something that was quickly pieced together with whatever materials are available, therefore making it a bit…nonsensical and not the greatest quality. Kind of like…how Frankenstein was born. You following me?

It eventually came to my realization that I was the mad scientist who had “Frankensteined” our own living room.

In my defense of shitty designing, when we bought our house a few months ago we had *NO* furnishings (we both lived separately and weren’t bringing anything to our new home). So I had to use whatever I had impulsively purchased after we bought the house without thinking through “hmmm…where is this piece going to go?”

All Frankenstein-ing aside, I began thinking about what I did like about the room.

“OK, so I love the couch (it’s brand new so I better friggen like it). I like the rug, but I don’t think it belongs in here. Why did I buy this coffee table? Oh right, because you were having friends over and you didn’t have a coffee table yet so you bought the cheapest one you could find.”

I actually didn’t like much about the room at all. Ugh. WHAT DO?!!

I waited it out. For a few weeks, I didn’t make any impulse purchases and tried to visualize what I truly wanted. What did I want the room to look like?

Putting the pieces together

I opened my good ol’ brain-dumping notebook and started writing whatever came to mind…

“I’m kind of over silver (talk about being indecisive), let’s go for gold accents. Add those new cheetah and blush pillows that I’m obsessed with? YAS. How about art propped up on a console table behind the couch?! Swap out the silver lamp for a gold. Let’s see if I can find a new coffee table that I love. For God’s sake, STOP buying shit you don’t LOVE. Speaking of the coffee table, the coffee table decor doesn’t have any… personality. The curtains are nice but can you find a subtle pattern you like? And the rug – let’s move it to another room. Maybe it’ll look better downstairs? Nowww I’m excited.”

Creating a Vision

My first instinct was to create a vision board, which is something I’ve been really into lately (full blog post on this to follow). So that’s exactly what I did.

Here’s the Modern Glam vision board I created:

modern glam vision board

I ordered the items I didn’t already have and waited patiently for packages to arrive at my front door. Within a few days, I had everything I needed and eagerly got to work. I was like the Tasmanian devil trying to style everything the way I liked it, but after a few hours, I stepped back to take it all in.

Here’s the final product!

modern glam living room

modern glam decor

modern glam decor

glam coffee table decorglam tray decor

Before + after comparison:

before and after photos

What do you guys think? I’ll be sharing more about vision boards and why they are so important in my future posts – make sure you subscribe to updates!

Like what you see? Shop these items below!

Chat soon!

– Alisa

Share Tweet Pin It +1
Previous PostOur Wedding Day
Next PostAn Instant Room Upgrade: Velvet Seating

14 Comments

1. Amanda
    10 months ago

This was really thought-provoking. Now I want to restyle my whole house!!

2. Courtney Hardy
    10 months ago

Wow it looks so good. I can be kind of impulsive too when it comes to decorating but once you get it all together the end product is nice. The after looks awesome, and i love the little pops of color here and there.

3. Annie
    10 months ago

Love these aesthetics, everything looks so stylish!
    x

4. alyssa gustilo
    10 months ago

Ahh im so happy youre loving your new space! that’s what’s most important.

Girl adding in that pop of color was the best decision ever I’m loving your re-design

❤️-love2designs.com

5. Hayley Larue
    10 months ago

Amazing! I love seeing before and afters like that! <3

BlondieintheCity.com

6. nat
    10 months ago

Wow, your living room is gorgeous!
    I really like your idea of having a vision board, it makes so much sense!!
    x

7. Jaclyn
    10 months ago

Can I just have everything in your room? You’re so talented and I can’t wait to see more of your posts!!!
    Xo

8. 6 Places to Use Trays in Your Home (+ How to Style Them) • A Glass of Bovino
    10 months ago

[…] place to use a tray, which makes sense because when used correctly, it can make or break your living room/seating area. I use a larger tray on my coffee table and style with 3-5 items like small books, […]

9. 3 Secrets to Styling Your Space from an Aspiring Interior Designer
    10 months ago

[…] different ways I’ve styled the coffee table in our living room, which changes at least once a week. I have a bin full of “coffee table decor” that […]

10. The Dark Side Diaries: Our Glam, Dark + Cozy Bedroom Transformation
    8 months ago

[…] the other rooms I’ve brought to life, there was no vision board or e-design for this. The only idea I was working off of was a theme […]

11. It's Our 1 Year Houseversary! Progress, Before & After Photos • A Glass of Bovino
    6 months ago

[…] Living room look #1…you can read more about the reason behind this not-so-great style here […]

12. BestTanja
    4 months ago

I see you don’t monetize your website, don’t
    waste your traffic, you can earn extra cash every month. You can use the best
    adsense alternative for any type of website
    (they approve all websites), for more info simply search in gooogle:
    boorfe’s tips monetize your website

13. Akshay
    2 weeks ago

You made it gorgeous. It is looking very inviting anyone will love to spend their time in a living room like this. I wish I could have the same one. this is really impressive. Keep Posting

1. aglassofbovino