If you’re new around here, welcome! I’m Alisa Bovino and I’m an interior design blogger + student, full-time marketer, serial DIYer, and secondhand furniture stalker. Grab a glass of (bo)vino and follow along as my husband and I renovate our main bathroom over the next few weeks for the Spring 2020 One Room Challenge™ . Stay tuned for the final reveal on June 24th!
How is it that I have months to complete a bathroom, while being home 24/7, yet I’m running around like a chicken without a head at the last minute? I think some may refer to that as “poor time management” but lets be honest, I thrive off the ORC 11th hour adrenaline so…I’ll call it strategy.
I’m going to keep this week short and sweet because to be honest, I have a ton of stuff to tackle before Monday’s photoshoot.
The custom Calico roman shade was installed this week and I could not be happier with my shot-in-the-dark choice. I made the decision on the denim linen and gold greek key in March, before I had any idea what I was doing in this bathroom. The safe choice would have been a neutral fabric, but I followed my gut, took a leap of faith and I am so happy I went with a bold jewel tone. Wait until you see this roman against the wall color. It is to.die.for.
Calico has been such a pleasure to work with. My local store was closed for a few weeks due to Covid, but when I checked in on the status of the roman shade and shower curtain, they told me it was ready and one of the Calico employees offered to personally deliver the finished products to my house because she lived near me. I insisted she didn’t, but she insisted it wasn’t a big deal. Seriously, I was so grateful for that!
I partnered with Build.com for the fixtures in this room and they’re being installed this week! This shower hardware is Rohl (in the Italian brass finish) and although not installed yet, I had to put it all together for this makeshift photo.
This Rohl unlacquered brass faucet (gifted from Build.com) is going to be the star of the show in the vanity area.
In addition to keeping the paint color a secret until the reveal, I’m also keeping the wallpaper for the *~~~*super secret*~~~* cabinet that Angelo is currently building in the wall a surprise too. Look, it’s a small room, I can only show you so much before the reveal. Don’t yell at me.
This hidden cabinet will appear like just another molding box on the wall, but alas, it will open to a wallpapered linen cabinet. Which classic pattern do you think I chose?!
This project is coming together in a way that completely surpasses all of my bathroom design hopes + dreams, so I want to thank the amazing brands that I’ve been working closely with and am fortunate enough to be partnering with for this One Room Challenge.
Here’s the full to-do list, which I’ve be sharing each week to keep show you what we’ve accomplished thus far and how much more we still have to go. ONE MORE #$@&%* WEEEEEEK!!!!
- Take measurements and before photos – DONE
- Gut bathroom – DONE
- Rough in plumbing + electrical – DONE
- Install mold-resistant sheetrock on walls – DONE
- Install bathtub – DONE
- Close seams, spackle, and sand – DONE
- Install hardie board on floor and around tub – DONE
- Frame out shower niche – DONE
- Waterproof shower walls – DONE
- Tile shower – DONE
- Prime walls – DONE
- Build and install tub apron – DONE
- Waterproof tub apron – DONE
- Dry fit + install tile on floor – DONE
- Install tile on tub apron – DONE
- Build and install recessed linen cabinet – IN PROGRESS
- Prime, cut, install, caulk and paint molding – IN PROGRESS
- Grout shower walls, floor and tub apron – DONE
- Fabricate vanity countertop – IN PROGRESS
- Install vanity, vanity top, sink and faucet
- Install toilet
- Install flush mount, sconces and exhaust fan – DONE
- Build & install open shelving – IN PROGRESS
- Install door – DONE
- Install shower fixtures
- Paint 3 coats on walls, ceiling, doors – IN PROGRESS
- Prime vanity – DONE
- Paint 2-3 coats on vanity – IN PROGRESS
- Wallpaper inside linen cabinet
- Install curtain rod and hang shower curtain
- Install roman shade – DONE
- Add finishing touches
- Photograph room
- REVEAL: June 24th!
Be sure to follow the other featured designers below and check back next week for THE FINAL ROOM REVEALS!!!