After years of avoidance due to the complicated layout, I’m finally starting to feel inspired by our family room project. For the first time since we lived here, I can actually envision this room being a space that we love to spend time in and a room that does actually have potential – and I’m excited to tap into that potential.
Speaking of being inspired, would you believe me if I told you I’m currently feeling inspired by carpet?
Ok not this
People typically hear the word carpet and shudder, but it’s come a long way and I think it can be the right choice in certain instances, such as:
- when you hate your floors/don’t have the means to install hardwood and you want to completely cover them up
- when the room is an awkward size and you can’t find a rug that fits. A rug can only get you so far in some spaces
- When you want the room to feel warmer/cozier
- A carpet is often a more affordable option than a rug or installing hardwood when covering a larger space
- Low pile carpets are sometimes easier to clean than rugs
The most common places people install carpet is in bedrooms and family rooms. There’s an undeniable element of coziness to carpet and I’m highly considering installing a (performance) carpet in our family room because:
- It’s a basement, which is generally cold, and I want it to feel warmer
- I hate our Pergo floors and we don’t want to install hardwood, so I want to completely cover them up
- There’s a beam in the room and I think a custom carpet might be the best way around that (vs a rug)
- With a low pile carpet, I can layer a vintage rug on top
I’d also like to incorporate the carpet/runner on the stairs to add to the coziness and because they’re so slippery!
Here are some images of carpet and runners that are inspiring me:
I love what my friend Sarah did with carpet in her home
last three photos via Mark D Sikes
One of my favorite photos with a stair runner Via Miles Redd
Via Studio McGee
More to come soon on the Family Room, I have some updates I’ve been working on and am excited to share more!