About a year ago, I wrote this post all about sizing pillows for your bedroom. I thought I could continue the pillow-talk series because let’s be honest, pillows are just enthralling to talk about.
I admittedly have a lot to learn about pillows, so I thought I could include the thoughts and guidance of a pillow expert – Hollie of StuckOnHue– who makes absolutely stunning custom designer pillows. I recently used one of her pillows, Cowtan and Tout Rajah, in our bedroom refresh and I am blown away by the quality of her work and attention to detail. I’m excited to be partnering with her on this series and sharing some of her guidance and expertise.
I took to the ‘gram to ask you your questions about pillows and received quite a bit of responses. Unfortunately today we won’t be talking about the challenging relationship between husbands and throw pillows, like a few of you asked about. Some included:
- “how do I get my husband not to mash them to hell when he naps on the couch”
- “why doesn’t my husband understand these are not for sleeping”
- “how to tell my husband they aren’t supposed to be thrown”
But the rest of the questions that were asked will be topics for upcoming blog posts. How to mix patterns, what pillows inserts to choose, etc.
THROW PILLOW TIPS & CONSIDERATIONS:
- It’s better to err on the size of pillows that are too big rather than too small. My go-to pillows for a standard sofa is 4 pillows: two 22×22 and two 20×20
- Hollie says that 20×20 is a good basic size that can work in most scenarios. It’s not always the ideal size, but it can always be made to work, unless your room or sofa is super large-scale. So, if in doubt, 20×20 is a good standby.
- Hollie suggests considering your tolerance (or your significant others tolerance) for moving pillows before sitting down. A sofa in a formal living room that is rarely used could handle more pillows. A sofa that gets a lot of use should not require moving a few pillows just to sit down. Depth of the sofa is a factor in how many pillows can stay vs. being in the way.
- If your sofa/chair/bed is large-scale, or if your room has high ceilings, your pillows should be larger-scale as well
AND NOW…A PERFECT PILLOW COMBINATION VIA STUCK ON HUE:
LOOK AT IT. DO YOU SEE IT? AN EMBROIDERED LES TOUCHES. Truly, a wonderful time to be alive.
THROW PILLOW SIZING GUIDANCE FOR SETTEES, SOFA’S LOVESEATS AND SECTIONALS
I pulled together a few visuals for you to use as guidance for your own seating situation. These are the sizes I would personally use – for myself or clients. I provided different seating examples and dimensions so you can compare to your seating situation. Enjoy!
Need help with pillow combo ideas? I pulled together some of my favorite pillows for you to shop on Etsy.
Click an image to shop!
I hope this post was helpful – I’m looking forward to continuing this Pillow Talk series with Hollie.
Have a great rest of your week!
LOVE all of this so much! Being at home has made me want to make our home extra beautiful and cozy and pillows are a huge part of that! It is so helpful seeing them styled here! Also, love the sectional sofa pictured on the bottom! Would you be able to share the source?
Thank you Micaela!! I love that idea of making your home extra beautiful and cozy during this time. I just linked the sofa, thanks for reminding me!
This could not have come at a better time! In the middle of updating the pillows on our couch and was debating size! Thank you, thank you! 🙂
Oh that’s amazing! I’m glad to hear!
This the clarity I swear I couldn’t figure out for YEARS – lol. I will literally stand in front of the decorative pillow aisle for far too long like crazy person; I’m stuck on size and patterns overthinking/over analyzing all of it. This makes it so much easier and I love the examples you listed!
Aw man, me too haha! I’m glad this was helpful!
How do i purchase patterns no 2?
The best pillow for you is the one that you sleep best on. The one that you wake up from feeling refreshed. The one that doesn’t allow you to wake up with a headache. The best pillow is one that does not allow you wake up with a stiff and aching neck. It’s a pillow that allows you to fall asleep and stay asleep… soundly.
Lots of great pillows on the market today. Thanks for the information.
I Fashion Styles says
My partner and I stumbled over here coming from a different web page and thought I should check things out. I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward to exploring your web page repeatedly.
Fashion style 360 says
Surly when it comes to fashion style and decor, I have found your article the most authentic and convincing ones. keep up the great work. looking out for more great stuff and soon will be visiting for more exciting articles.
seferihisar temizlik şirketi says
Seferihisar Temizlik Şirketi olarak hijyenik temizlik hizmetleri vermekteyiz