In BLOG

Why This Is the Only Gray Paint Color You’ll Ever Need

A few days ago I asked via IG stories “what’s a home design trend you HATE” and boy oh boy I got some great answers. About 80% of the responses had to do with all farmhouse-related trends.

You mean people are actually sick seeing cotton stems in hammered tin buckets, all-things-Rae Dunn and distressed EVERYTHING? Damn. What a surprise.

But one or two people replied, “people who decorate and paint ALL THINGS GRAY.” I’ll admit – that was totally me about a year ago. Our house needed to be painted 51 shades of gray and there was nothing stopping me from doing so (until my love for black walls and dark green began to flourish).

I learned a ton about paint colors during my hunt for the perfect gray(s) last year after we bought our house. After a few weeks and 14 sleeves of cookies, I eventually found the perfect gray paint, which I recommend to clients when they’re also on the hunt for justtttt the right gray.

What a ballsy statement to make. The perfect gray? What even makes up a perfect gray paint? Using my powerful creative energies, I created a poem for you to comprehend just how perfect this gray is:

Not too warm

Not too cool

Not too dark

Not too light.

Just. right.

(no need to acknowledge my poem creating abilities)

Drumroll, please……

repose gray

I talk about Sherwin William’s paints so much, it’s almost offensive that they don’t sponsor my posts (luckily their paints are always on sale).

It’s a creamy, pale gray and I’ve never seen a photo I didn’t like with Repose on the walls.

These are the reasons why Repose is the perfect gray…

LIGHT + NEUTRAL

We don’t get a lot of light in our house, so I had to factor in the Light Reflective Value of the paint I chose.

LRV is essentially how much light the color will reflect on the walls (if you really give a shit about LRV, read more here). Repose has an LRV of 58, which is fairly light, but it can appear darker in rooms that don’t have a lot of light.

A good example of how Repose looks in rooms that get little light vs. a ton of light:

gray living room color

This photo of our living room is completely unedited and you can see that there’s little natural light coming through. The walls appear to be a neutral light-medium gray.

my texas house

my texas house

my texas house

MyTexasHouse uses this color in essentially every single room of her drop-dead gorgeous home and you can see how much lighter it appears with all that natural light POURING through.

IT GOES WITH EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING.

Repose never looks too warm or too cool. But, I do want to note that the LIGHTBULBS you use can drastically change the colors of your walls. To avoid the walls appearing too warm or cool, I always use neutral 3000K bulbs.

repose gray

One of my biggest concerns when choosing the perfect gray was picking a color that looked too blue or too yellow, but Repose is as neutral as it gets, even with its slightly warm undertones.

Also want to note that if your floors and furnishings are on the warmer side, then your walls may appear warmer as well, but that goes for any color.

repose gray

If you’ve been on the hunt for a beautiful, pale light gray that goes with EVERYTHING, this is the color for you.

Sherwin Williams pls respond to my DMs.

How do you feel about choosing paint colors? Have you found that “perfect” color that you love to use throughout your home?

Have a fantastic week my friends! <3

xo

Alisa

Share Tweet Pin It +1
Previous Post3 Neutral Glam Living Room Designs on 3 Different Budgets
Next PostDESIGN CELLAR FREEBIE: The Bathroom Makeover Roundup + Simple Ways to Update Your Bathroom

18 Comments

1. Delma
    2 months ago

I have been looking for a gray for my Small 3 bedroom house that I am trying to furnish with antiques and I love these gray thank you. I am so glad I found your website. Thanks Delma

1. aglassofbovino
      1 month ago

Aw of course Delma!! I’m glad you found this helpful 🙂

2. Alicia
    2 months ago

Beautiful and very helpful, what white trim did you use.

3. Dee
    1 month ago

I have completely lost it, looking for the perfect gray paint in the last 3 months. We actually though we had the perfect gray, painted my small bedrooms Gravity by Valspur and they totally turned out Blue. Since, I’ve been buying samples of Gray paint and it’s has driven me insane. I’ve sampled Cityloft Gray, Agreeable Gray, Collonade Gray, Grayish, Modern Gray, Balboa Mist, and finally Gray Owl by Benjamin Moore. Gray Owl came the closest to what I want but it still didn’t Woo me. Looking at this Repose Gray excites me! This is exactly what I want, just a hint of Gray. Thanks for sharing. I’ll be going for Repose Paint today.

1. aglassofbovino
      1 month ago

Hi Dee!

Trust me – I know what it’s like to “lose it” over finding the right paint colors. I’ve tried most of those grays you tried, actually. My kitchen was City Loft for a week, my downstairs is Agreeable, I loved Collonade but didn’t move forward. And of course I tested the ever popular Gray Owl. I hope you like and end up using Repose Gray! 🙂 Good luck!

Alisa

4. Karen
    1 month ago

Article was informative but the foul language was totally uncalled for.

1. Tricia
      1 month ago

Actually, I found the cursing well placed and not overdone. Love your decor dahling!

2. Susan
      3 days ago

What foul language?

5. Rebecca
    1 month ago

You crack me up!!!! 😃😂😃 I love your post and sense of humor! With you help I’ve finally found my perfect grey.

1. aglassofbovino
      3 weeks ago

LOL! Thanks Rebecca! I never take myself too seriously. I’m so glad you found the perfect gray!!

6. Kelley
    4 weeks ago

Hi, I was also on the hunt for the perfect neutral gray a couple of years ago and settled on SW Agreeable Gray. It’s in that same “greige” family. I’m in the process of turning a large/wide coat closet into a mudroom/landing area with shiplap and stained wood. I think Repose Gray might be a good compliment to the areas not shiplapped. Thanks!!

1. aglassofbovino
      3 weeks ago

Kelley – so funny you chose Agreeable because I used that for the other half of my house, LOL! I wanted to break it up and I think it’s definitely on the “greiger” side of Repose. But certainly a beautiful color!!

7. Nicki
    4 weeks ago

I lo fee this color, but when I painted it in my daughter’s bathroom it looks like a completely different color. I tried to change the light bulbs but still no luck. We are moving, and I really wanted to use this as my color for my house but I fear that out will turn blue/ green like in my daughter’s bath. Oh one more question the neutral 3000k lightbulb, I never heard of that before. Are you in the UK? If not what is that and where do I find it?

1. aglassofbovino
      3 weeks ago

Oh no I’m sorry to hear that! Does her bedroom get any natural light? And I’m not sure how lightbulbs work in the UK, but essentially a 3000k lightbulb is a very neutral type of light. It’s not too warm and not too cold. Hope that helps!

8. Karen Morrell
    3 weeks ago

Does repose gray work as well on the exterior(stucco)?

1. aglassofbovino
      3 weeks ago

Yes – Sherwin Williams offers their paint colors for exterior as well. I’m not positive about stucco, but the reps at Sherwin Williams are very helpful and will probably be able to tell you whether you can use it on Stucco or not! <3

9. Lan
    2 weeks ago

We are repainting our whole house in a couple of weeks and I am stuck between repose or agreeable gray. Like you, our house doesn’t get a lot of natural light. Since you used both colors, which one did you think gives a fresher, brighter overall feeling?

1. aglassofbovino
      1 week ago

Hi Lan! I think that Repose gives a fresher, brighter feeling. However, if your house doesn’t get a lot of natural light you should consider lightening Repose by about 25%. Hope that helps!