If you’re new here, my husband and I purchased our first home (a generic, 1960’s bi-level) two years ago in Northern NJ. Little by little, I’m adding personality and style to our builder-grade home and for this Fall’s One Room Challenge™, I’m tackling my office and have a goal to furnish most of the room with Facebook Marketplace finds (see previous One Room Challenge reveals here and here).
I encourage you to sit back and follow along with a glass of vino while I dedicate nearly 98% of my free time to making over this space. The other 2% of my free time? That’s for showering and the occasional snack. Check back each week until the final reveal on November 7th!
After last week’s paint debacle, I feel like I’m in a good place this week and am prepping to photograph the room this weekend! *knocking on wood so nothing goes awry*
This past week I was on a mission for the perfect olive-ish green, and on a whim I mixed two colors – BM Palmer Green and BM Dark Olive. The mix created the exact green I was going for, so I brought my mixed sample to Benjamin Moore to color match it. They tested it and told me that it was almost an exact match to Benjamin Moore Trailing Vines.
The word “almost” was off-putting, because I wanted the exact color I mixed on my sample, but I said a Hail Mary and went with a gallon of Trailing Vines. When I opened the gallon and compared it to my mixed sample, the guy was right – it was nearly identical to my sample. Phew.
The paint coverage on BM’s Regal Select was amazing and since most of the wall surface area is already covered in wallpaper, I was able to paint over all of the white in about ~4 hours (prepping included). I used a 4 3/4 inch Wooster roller to get in between the areas of the trim and then a brush to go over the trim in high gloss. It only took two coats!
I truly am so happy with the contrast of the Bird & Thistle wallpaper with Trailing Vines.
Here’s my Facebook Marketplace checklist (already found items that are bolded):
- Marble top chest
- Storage/dresser (for closet)
- Set of identical lamps
- Single lamp
- Cowhide rug
- Desk chair
- Corner chair
- Curtain rods
- Console table
- Side table (I actually purchased this on MP earlier this year and decided it would look perfect in my office)!
To-do list updates:
- Choose the perfect paint/wallpaper combo – done. for good. ha!!
- Cut, install and caulk Metrie molding (the usual – crown, base, wall) – done!
- Prep and paint the desk – done!
- Paint the ceiling, walls and trim – done!
- Install wallpaper in molding boxes – done!
- Install window treatments (shades discounted from Select Blinds) – done!
- Install ceiling medallion (sponsored by Architectual Depot) and light (discounted from Capitol Lighting) – done!
- Hit refresh on FB MP every 11 minutes – need one.more.item. which should have been simple to find, but apparently no one likes giving up their modern brass lamps, lol.
- Drive all over NJ/NY/CT/PA to pick up items from strangers houses (this will need to happen at least 15 times based on how many items I am trying to source from MP). – I am so thankful that Angelo had some time this past week to pick up two more items for me so I could focus on the room.
- Setup and photograph the room – in progress. EEEEK!
That’s it for this week! JUST SEVEN MORE DAYS UNTIL THE REVEAL!!!!
If you’re on Instagram, follow me @aglassofbovino to watch my progress in my “ORC Office” Instagram story highlights! I’ll be sharing a lot more there.
Also a huge thank you generous brands I’ve partnered with who provided discounted/sponsored items for this makeover:
- Metrie – molding (sponsored)
- Loloi – area rug (sponsored)
- Capitol Lighting – ceiling light (discounted)
- Emtek – desk pulls (sponsored)
- Ekena Millwork – ceiling medallion (sponsored)
- Select Blinds – shades (discounted)
SEE YOU NEXT WEEK!!! *internally screaming*